Upcycle a Deck of Cards Into A Valentine’s Wreath
You don’t have to spend $20 on a Valentine’s decoration! Here is a great DIY that you can complete with things from your home or for just a couple bucks if you need to get a couple more decks of cards!
Decorating for the holidays is always a lot of fun but spending money on store bought decorations every year can really add up on the wallet and the environment! If you have seen any f our other DIYs you know we love crafting and reusing things around the house to reduce waste! This wreath could be the perfect use for any decks of cards that are missing cards, or you can buy cards for as little as $1 at the Dollar Store (if you really don’t have an old deck laying around!)
What You Need!
- Deck of cards (2+ if using only the hearts)
- Ribbon (in your favorite Valentine’s Day color)
- Left over foam board, cardboard, or anything stiff enough to hold the wreath shape
- Paint (if you want to go that route)
- Large piece of paper
How To Make It!
1)First, fold a large piece of paper in half and cut out your heart (just like you did in elementary school). Then, cut about and inch and a half on the inside of the heart and it’ll be an open heart. I used this as my template to trace the heart on a leftover piece of foam board. (You could also use heavy cardboard as your wreath form!)
2)Cut out the foam board with an exacto knife and found two decks of cards. You can pull out the heart cards or you can paint your own designs on the cards! Depending on the size of your wreath you will need about 2 decks of cards if you are only using the hearts!
3) Arrange the cards around the heart shape you cut out to your liking. From here you will glue down the cards (hot glue, white glue, glitter glue whatever you have laying around!)
4) Add a ribbon to the back in a loop so you can hang up your new Valentine’s Day wreath! Use it year after year or recycle it when you are done!
We hope you love this DIY and that you have a wonderful (and eco-friendly) Valentine’s Day!